Nicotine levels in e-cigarettes

Nicotine levels in e-cigarettesA popular question when moving to e-cigarettes, exactly what 12mg or 24mg strengths mean for nicotine?

Nicotine comes from the tobacco plant. Pharmaceutical technology enables skilled chemists to extract nicotine in liquid form. The standard that you need to look for is USP grade, pharmaceutical quality nicotine. That way you can rest assured that the nicotine was extracted in a safe and effective manner. Nicotine is can have beneficial effects of concentration and cognition. The draw back is the very addictive nature of nicotine.

This is the amount of nicotine in milligrams, for each millilitre of the liquid inside, expressed as mg/ml.
Some companies such as Green Smoke choose to represent this as a percent per solution, which is where you’ll see 1.2% instead of 12mg/ml. This means the same thing, just interpreted differently. The other 98.8% consists of water, propylene glycol and/or vegetable glycerin, and food-grade flavouring. However, it is often not clear for new users how this relates a particular kind of cigarette that a person smokes.

Nicotine levels in e-cigarettes

  • Full flavour, strong – 2.4% is equal to 25.2- 27.6 mg of nicotine per cartridge
  • Regular Strength – 1.8% is equal to 18.9- 20.7 mg of nicotine per cartridge
  • Lights Strength – 1.2% is equal to 12.6- 13.8 mg of nicotine per cartridge
  • Ultra Lights Strength – 0.6% is equal to 6.3- 6.9 mg of nicotine per cartridge
  • Nicotine Free 0% is equal to 0 mg of nicotine per cartridge

Note: For this example we used Green Smoke’s nicotine levels

Nicotine levels in regular cigarettes

  • Ultra Light Filter Cigaretts (Malboro / Camel Lights)= 6mg Nicotine
  • Light Filter Cigarettes (Malboro / Camel Lights)= 12mg Nicotine
  • Regular Filter Cigarettes (Malboro Red / Camel Filter) = 18mg Nicotine

Note: Some of these levels will change based on your country / territory.

Nicotine levels in e-cigarettes0mg/mL Nicotine

This means that there is no nicotine in your e-cigarette.
Zero nicotine levels are used by people who have quit smoking but still have an oral fixation and use an electronic cigarette to satisfy it. We highly recommend trying this option, many people don’t realise this but they are just addicted to hand-to-mouth-motion or social cues.

6mg/mL Nicotine

This level of nicotine is the lightest level offered.
For people who wish to enjoy the smallest possible nicotine level while still enjoying a full e-cigarette taste.
This is commonly the last level in “stepping”.

12mg/mL Nicotine

On the lower end, 12mg/ml is a comfortable level for people who prefer nicotine, but aren’t heavy e-cig users.
This level is also common for people who used to smoke light cigarettes.

18mg/ml Nicotine

This is the middle of the road in terms of nicotine.
Most e-cig users who were former smokers enjoy this level because it delivers the perfect amount of nicotine levels in e-cigarettes.

24mg/ml Nicotine

This is on the high side of nicotine levels and is commonly preferred by people who were formally heavy smokers (about a pack per day). This is often as high as many e-cigarette brands go.
It has a noticeable nicotine level that many former smokers enjoy.

36mg/ml Nicotine

This is the highest concentration of nicotine, more often available as an e-juice rather than in an e-cigarette.
People who prefer this level are usually former smokers with a serious addiction, usually meaning more than two packs per day.

Symptoms of nicotine overdose

The most common symptoms or e-cigarette side effects include headache, nausea, and dizziness.If you experience any of these symptoms discontinue use of all nicotine products and speak to your doctor.

Avoid nicotine overdose by picking a sensible nicotine level for you and don’t let fear of nicotine withdrawals cause you to pick a level that is too high.

The electronic cigarette can be an enjoyable and easy switch from smoking cigarettes, just remember to use common sense, experiment, and listen to your body.

  • When you inhale, does the back of your throat burn uncomfortably?
  • Do you get dizzy or light headed after just a few drags?
  • Do you get a headache after only a light session of vaping?

If any of these things apply to you, chances are you’re using a nicotine level that’s higher than your body is used to.

Promotion

V2 Cigs electronic cigarettes - Taste. Trust. Technology.